Thursday, February 25, 2010

POST-OP: DAY 2, A Different Puppy?


Aaron and I were worried that Fiona would be a different pup after what she went through, but she definitely has the same spirit she did before her surgery. She is just as sassy, for example, she tries to run to the kitchen when she smells the turkey cooking, she barks like a tough girl when she hears people outside or sees them walking through the courtyard, and she tries to charm us with her puppy eyes when we are eating popcorn in the green chair, with the hopes that we will throw her a kernel or let her sit with us. And today, she finally gave me kisses on my nose when I stuck my head in her kennel... that was probably the best part of my day.


Anyway, we were worried that Fiona would be a different pup, but I think it turned out that Aaron and I became people we may not have thought we would/could be. The Vet told us that Fiona should return to a normal quality of life, but we've been treating her like first time parents do with a new-born baby. Aaron pulled out the sleeping bag and camping mattress and slept next to her kennel all night to keep an eye on her. It was a good thing he did though, because she threw up at 3am, but the Vet said it was probably because she wasn't used to her dog food, and that we should ween her back to it by feeding her bland foods (such as ground turkey and rice). During the day, I don't want to leave her for more than 1 hour at a time. Fortunately, I'm able to do this since I'm not working right now. Thiswhole thing with Fiona makes me wonder if things with Alcon didn't work out for a reason??? Eventually though, I'll get a new job, so its a good thing that Fiona sleeps most of the day anyway.

Regarding Fiona's progress today - she sleeps a lot, she rarely wants to leave her kennel (unless its for breakfast, dinner, or a snack), and her right leg still seems lame, compared to her left, but we are doing "physical therapy" with her daily, so she should become stronger. Her stitches still look good (no swelling or pussing), and she is able to give us kisses again!

Oh, and by the way, I think I mentioned getting pet insurance for your animals in my last blog... Aaron looked into this and we definitely plan to get it. It's really not that expensive considering the return, should your pet ever need to visit the vet, get an MRI, stay at the ER, or need meds. We were thinking about this (and I spoke with my friend Eve about this), and it makes sense to get pet insurance since animals are probably more prone to injuries than humans are. Especially if it's Fiona .... she HASSSS visited the doctor this year more times than both Aaron and I combined!










3 comments:

  1. Looking good Fiona! Keep up the progress and listen to your mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have ASPCA insurance for Kapua, and 24hr Pet Watch insurance for Spirit.

    ReplyDelete